Wiltshire Bat Group Guiding Principles
The objective of the Wiltshire Bat Group (WBG) is to promote bat conservation in Wiltshire. The WBG is an informal organisation made up of dedicated individuals with a particular focus on scientific studies into bat ecology and behaviour across the county.
All members of the Wiltshire Bat Group are encouraged to uphold the following principles, best practice and behaviours.
- Bat Group members should be champions and ambassadors for bat conservation, raising the profile and public awareness of bats.
- Bat Group members should promote and encourage data recording, forwarding their bat records to WSBRC.
- Experienced bat workers should provide training opportunities for the next generation of volunteers, including effective engagement with the public, safe handling, bat ID, and surveying techniques.
- The Bat Group will establish and maintain effective partnerships with other bat groups, statutory bodies and conservation organisations.
- Bat Group members should be courteous to each other, show respect, communicate openly, adhere to the conditions of their licences, share data, transfer knowledge and ensure duplication of effort is minimised.
WBG and public events
The WBG is not currently resourced to organise or run public events. However, individual members do run bat walks, training events and give demonstrations to members, volunteers and the public as part of their projects. General requests received by the WBG for bat walks, or assistance at events will be advertised and passed onto bat group members.
WBG on planning matters
The WBG does not get involved in, and cannot advise on planning issues. Members of the public who have planning queries or concerns over development should contact Wiltshire Council www.wiltshire.gov.uk